The Business Architect plays a key role in structuring an enterprise’s governance structure, business processes, and business information. They align strategic goals and objectives by making the right decisions about crucial business and IT initiatives. The primary focus is the business motivations, business operations, and business analysis.
The role of Business Architect includes many different tasks and responsibilities. In this role, you’ll:
- Develop a business architecture strategy based on a situational awareness of various business scenarios and motivations;
- Apply a structured business architecture approach and methodology to capture the enterprise’s key views;
- Define and document the business architecture – from strategy and people to process and tools – in your domain;
- Participate in defining and executing long-term transformation roadmaps to ensure the success of business transformations;
- Define, structure, formalize, and validate the business solutions with all stakeholders in your domain to operationalize organizational transformations;
- Participate in identifying the initiatives required to realize the strategic and tactical needs of the business and the target business architecture;
- Identify the impact of these initiatives on the different aspects – such as capability, value stream, process, organization, people, information, and tools – of the business architecture;
- Identify and ensure that interdependencies are considered within the domain as well as across domains to ensure projects run smoothly;
- Contribute to the implementation of the target architecture roadmap to ensure that projects are coherent for the organization;
- Challenge, validate, and define the scope of projects and demands together with the business to ensure it can take the right decisions for the organization;
- Ensure that projects remain aligned with the initial business architecture to ensure the organization achieves the right results.
- Participate in the evolution and positioning of a Business Architecture practice;
- Develop and maintain a knowledge database on business architecture to have up-to-date organizational blueprints;
- Create the business architecture part of SAD (solution architecture descriptions) for projects, which contains diagrams for business motivation, business goals, business information, and more, and which are formalized using Archimate.
- A master’s degree or equivalent experience;
- At least 5 years’ hands-on experience in Business Architecture or Enterprise Architecture;
- Experience using model-based representations (Archimate, BPMS…) that can be adjusted as required to collect, aggregate, or disaggregate complex and conflicting information about the business;
- Experience in modeling business processes using a variety of tools and techniques;
- Experience in defining customer journeys;
- A broad, enterprise-wide view of the insurance business and varying degrees of appreciation for strategy, processes, capabilities, enabling technologies, and governance;
- Able to recognize structural issues within the organization, functional interdependencies, and cross-silo redundancies;
- Able to apply architectural principles to business solutions;
- Able to assimilate and correlate disconnected documentation and drawings, and articulate their collective relevance to the organization and high-priority business issues;
- Able to visualize and create high-level models that can be used in future analyses to extend and mature the business architecture;
- Able to act as a liaison conveying the information needs of the business to IT and data constraints to the business; applies equal conveyancing with regard to business and IT strategy, business processes and work flow automation, business and IT initiatives, benefit realization, and service delivery.